Below is the wall ball workout used by Shoreham Wading River High School in New York, one of the top HS lacrosse programs in the country. SWR's head coach Tom Rotanz is currently on the coaching staff of the US Under19 team. All SWR players are required to do this workout at least 3 times (ideally 5 times) per week during the offseason.
Athletes interested in becoming impact lacrosse players should take advantage of this workout. If you have trouble getting
through this workout start with fewer reps (eg. 25 per set) and work yourway up. This wall work will get you tired (if not, increase your pace) but there should not be any pain. Bring and drink plenty of water.
SWR Wall Ball Workout
Coach's Comment - Always wear gloves. Keep both hands on the stick unless otherwise noted. Wearing a helmet is also highly advisable...practice like you play. This workout should be done five days per week (minimum of three days per week). Stand 7 yards from the wall. Throw the ball hard.
1. Quick Stick 50 times with right 50 times with left No cradle
2. One Hand Quick Stick 50 X with right hand 50 X with left hand No cradle. Snap the wrist. Hold stick on the middle of the handle.
3. Catch and Throw with Quick Cradle 50 X right 50 X left Catch ball back by ear. Do not "snatch" at ball or spin your stick.
4. One hand catch and throw with quick cradle 50X right 50X left
5. Face Dodge 50X right 50X left Catch, face wall, dodge (no hand change) then throw
6. Split Dodge 50X right 50X left Throw left, catch left, split dodge left to right (with hand change), catch right then repeat.
7. Behind the back 50X right 50X left Can alternate right vs. left
8. Ground balls 50 GB's to (bounce ball off of wall for GBs to) 50 GB's away End all wall work with Ground Balls. Mix it up doing some standing still, some jogging and some sprinting. Use wall for GB's to.
WALL BALL VIDEO WITH NED CROTTY